Friday, September 18, 2009

The Rubbish Bin- Last Post Before Depature.

World-

I woke up this morning still trying to scrape the pasty taste of my twenty first birthday off the roof of my mouth. The outstretched arms of the work week offered no salvation for my body and liver as I confidently charged through my last five days in the United States with horizontal I.D in hand, anxiety in my heart, laughing my way to bed (or the floor) every night for what felt like would be the last time every time.
Tonight I will be heading to London, to pursue my lifelong dream of pretending I'm British. It is true that I will miss the red white and blue.... I love town hall meetings and health care reform just as much as any another American burger-munchin, football watching--buffalo wing aficionado, but London's calling...to the far away towns.
Everything that has affected me in life has come from England. From The Beatles, to Harry Potter and J.K Rowling's nonfictional semi-biographical argument about the London Wizarding underground, to people who talk lykeee theiss, to A Clockwork Orange, to Sweeney Todd, to William Shakespeare, to my friend Steve Thompson, etc., I have been very much influenced by London and all the culture it has contributed to the world. I, as a human being, am just a recycled American byproduct of everything great that came out of London. Now, after studying English Literature for three years in college, I'm ready to go and see these things for myself, and be apart of these things for myself...in reality, not just here in my head, or on platform nine and three quarters.
...also I like foggy weather.
I'm feeling kind of nervous. I know this day will be one big pain in the ass. Customs, transportation, problems with paperwork I forgot to hand in, my debit card won't swipe...I know, I'm prepared. But I'm sure it will all be worth it come Monday when I'm settled in my Little flat in New Cross, St. James St, London. I know this will be a quick trip, but twelve weeks should be justttt enough time to have an existential revelation/mental breakdown if I time it correctly. I guess all I can do now, is go.

Cheers.
Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment