Monday, October 12, 2009

I got a feeling

Ok, back on track. I've got a lot to report.

Thursday I achieved one of my dreams. I saw a Shakespeare play, "Love Labour's Lost", performed at Shakespeare's Globe theater. It's a weird feeling, you know, achieving your dreams. When you sit around in High School and think about the world and the things you'd like to do in it, it never really seems possible, everything seems so old and text book.Doing stuff like this makes me feel like...wait, did that just happen?..all the time.
If anything upsets me the most on my trip abroad it's this nagging feeling of (which I've wrote about before)..what did I do to deserve this? It almost feels a little unclean, like stolen money or something. I feel like I haven't done enough for the world to be vibrating in it so well right now. Whatever. This is stuff no human thinks about besides me. Regardless of why I'm here I am here and I literally mull over every second of it, so there is my karmic payment I suppose. (millz)
We went to the Globe to try and catch the 7:30pm showing. Naturally, I bought a small bottle of cherry wine and a small bottle of gin and tonic that I drank on the streets of Southwark walking toward the Globe. Turns out you can walk to the Globe in 10 minutes from London Bridge, if I had known that two days earlier Kate and I probably would have caught the sunrise without rushing, but if you know me well, you know I can't do things correctly.
When we got there the tickets were sold out, but there were two tickets available for the matinee the next day, which I bought for 10 quid. We actually wound up getting tickets off someone on the street for that evening's performance though, so I wound up giving the tickets for the next day to my two bro roommates Zach and Kyle as an apology for letting my alarm clock go off for an hour and wake everyone up before I got home...(nevermind).
Anyway
It was surreal to be in the Globe. I don't even know how to write about it, which is weird. I was a groundling, I saw Shakespeare, it was Brilliant, I was in the Globe. My whole life being an "English" student and an "English" major lead up to this, and I did it and it was perfect. I drank a Grolsch and watched Shakespeare in the standing section. They still use no mics, they still do everything old school, it was beautiful man I tell you.
After the Globe we went to O' Neils, where we usually go on Thursday nights, I had a really sweet time there and then we went back to the flat to eat late night food.
I need to stop eating late night food. I haven't put on any weight yet but I know when I did put on weight when I was 18 it was because of late night food, which I spent the last year vehemently steering away from. I've been kinda on it again. No good.
Friday we went to see a production of INTO THE WOODS. The show was put on in this like attic of an awesome bar. We got bags of some turkey and gravy crisps, which were splendid, I had two Fullers and had to pee the whole time. I really enjoyed the show though. I like watching musical theater.
That night we went back and tried to sleep early so we could be ready to go to Stonehenge and Bath the next day. I went to sleep at 12:30am and stayed up all night. Please see my blog post below for reference.
I really wanted to go on this trip, the most possibly, but I was too fucked up from staying up all night. I couldn't function on the bus, I was anxious and tired and sweaty and bad. We got to Stonehenge and I managed to keep myself conscious long enough to appreciate how amazing it is there. If you know me, you know that I believe Stonehenge was set up for the aliens (hey kyle, are you reading this?), so I've always wanted to see it. What's fascinating about stonehenge isn't that it's just a bunch of rocks, it's that they weigh tons and someone dragged them like 300 miles into the middle of nowhere 1000 years ago and set them up. I really liked finally seeing it in real life, like I've said again and again, very surreal.
I passed out on the bus and missed the whole beautiful countryside on the trip to Bath. I felt like crap in Bath, although I ate a great burger (first one I've had since I left!). Bath is a city run by these natural hot springs that the Romans thought cured leprosy or some shit. It was ABSOLUTELY beautiful there, I mean, really, I could live there forever and die somewhere in a park. Also I have to say, I was sick when I got to Bath, and I was fine after I left.
That night we made pasta in my flat and ate fudge from Bath and ate scones and drank tea. It was a great night.
Sunday I slept till 1, waking up feeling the best I've ever felt in my life. Kelly and Kate hung out in my flat all day while we made plans to do things we never did, and then I just cooked them Franklin St. chicken and broccoli.
Sunday night we went to the New Cross Inn down the street. I chugged two Coronas for no reason before we left, So I was feeling good, and then for whatever reason I drank excessively on a Sunday night at the New Cross Inn. Everyone there was really friendly, I loved it, It's my kind of place.
They had a live band playing and it was during this time I felt my first pain of homesickness...loud,live,amplified music. I miss Noistradamus, I really do. This band sucked though, Noistradamus would have taken a big shit on this place.
Sorry.
Anyway I stayed up really late that night but I had to wake up for class at 8. Long story short I took the wrong bus, wrong tube, went to the wrong city,and missed my class. Today was one of those days.
Nick is coming in one day. I am girlishly excited for him to come. I felt a bit homesick today, I'm not going to lie. Sad news from home and lack of Murphy makes me feel a bit like, one Saturday in O.B would be great, that would be all I need. Fortunately, that Saturday has come in the form of Nick. I feel like I signed some contract coming here where I can't see my friends from home for 3 months, and Nick coming I feel like we're breaking that contract. Everyone here is super excited for him to come, and I'm excited to show him what I've learned, because trust me this blog and these words could never ever show you...

Oh yeah I'll be spending Halloween in Dublin, followed by a week of Amsterdam and Paris.
Give me a break.

Cheers.
Andrew

1 comment:

  1. "I feel like I haven't done enough for the world to be vibrating in it so well right now. Whatever. This is stuff no human thinks about besides me."

    INCORRECT my friend.

    ReplyDelete