Friday, October 30, 2009

In the scheme of things, this is the CLIMAX of my London plot.

This is it. Tomorrow I leave for my unshaven journey through Ireland, Amsterdam, and Paris. It's funny that these are the three places that I planned to go before I came here, and now I'm actually going...with friends!

This is the climax. I'll be living my dreams backpacking through Europe for 11 days, and when I get back I have one month left (falling action), and boom I'm home again. Back to New Jersey, no more city life and British people, fish and chips, double Decker buses, staring at the Thames, Globe Theater, New Cross Inn, hundreds of years of history, English countryside, Green Park, tower bridge, ...wait I don't want to think about all this right now, do I?

I miss my friends so much, but I really don't know how I'm going to go back to driving my Altima up and down Browntown Shopping Center after all this. The world is just too impressive. To God Damn impressive.
Than again, I can almost hear my band blasting through Nick's basement again...that makes me smile.

I still have a list of things to do when I get back though.
1. See an Arsenal Football game
2. Go to Manchester
3. Go to Liverpool
4. Take the Beatles walking tour
5. Go to King's Cross to try and find Platform 9 3/4's.
6. Go to Stratford upon Avon and other Shakespeare sites.
7. Go to Brighton.
8. Go to Warwick Castle.

So there are still things.
I hope I can bring London home with me.

There's so much I want to write about but this isn't the blog for it. I'm just so lucky, the world has moved me so much since I've been here. The world changed me.
I just think about how I came to London for no reason. Like, I had no reason to do this except that something told me to go to London. My first calling. I listened to my first calling in life and it's working out like callings do usually.
I hate how symmetrical and schematic life can be sometimes.


It feels good to feel good again, or feel something besides neutrality and general non-interest in life I guess. I feel sort of, re-energized. I feel back.

Things are good.

Yesterday I woke up and took the bus to Greenwich by myself. Greenwich is a really sweet little place, with shops and such. I walked around alone for a while going into stores and thinking about how it's strange that I'm getting into aesthetics. Like I see clothes or like interesting decorative shit and I think to myself..."maybe I should buy that"? Why? I never wanted things before, but lately I've been really fascinated by fantastical looking decorative clothes and like ornaments and pictures and things. It's weird because this is just something I noticed I've developed since I've been here, no one else is like that or introduced me to it, it's just like this small thing in the back of my mind. I like cool stuff now I guess. Am I turning into Justin?

I don't know, maybe the kid is changing.

Anyway, I found a copy of Emmanuel Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason" that was published in like 1815 in an old book shop.( Holy crap I am turning into Justin). I was so happy about it, only 10 pounds. I used to read that book at the Breakfast table every morning on Franklin Street so I could start my day being fucked up in the head. I wanted to read it.

I found the COOLEST, PUB, EVER. It was a real bar, with bar stools and stuff, and a fireplace.I sat there and ordered an Amstel Bier, and I read the book and drank alone for like two hours. Finally, I started feeling drunk, and the bartender who is like a dude my age asked what I was reading.
Long story short he started drinking and talking about philosophy with me, and before I knew it it was 5pm and I was totally drunk from drinking with a stranger while talking about Emmanuel Kant in England all day.

I drunkenly took the bus back to my flat, and later Kate and Daria decided to bake a cake. Feeling drunk already, I bought 10 beers and drank them while they baked and I watched and made stupid jokes and was drunk. Jo eventually came in and helped me drink them, and after we finished we went back to the liquor store, moved it to my kitchen, and me and Jo wound up drinking and singing songs and talking about our lives until 8am. It was a beautiful night, because I bonded with someone I didn't know that well before, and it reminded me very much of a night at home, and centered me a bit.

Today I laid around hungover and went on a tour of Haunted places in London. It was pretty interesting. There are lots of ghosts in London, I wish I could meet all of them.

Well, tomorrow I leave. No Blog for 11 days. I will be writing a blog though, on actual paper (LOL)which I will transfer to this thing when I get back.

Cheers
Andrew

2 comments:

  1. have a great time =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said you were doubtful if anyone was reading. I've been following you from the start.

    ReplyDelete